Free Recordings of Hymns, Carols and Other Works
Hymns Without Words is a free service providing quality MP3 recordings of music for services to accompany choirs and congregations. The web site was established in 2007 and has had millions of visitors. The music is used in churches around the world and in live streams from Zoom, YouTube etc.
Recordings are often refreshed and new recordings added, so please keep coming back to see what is new. Click Here for a list of all hymns.
Supporting Hymn Writers
At hymns without words we welcome new writers to submit hymns for recording. Contemporary hymnists include:
Click here to contact us if you want to have your hymns added to Hymns Without Words.
The Hymns Without Words Lectionary
- Sunday 23rd May – Year B Pentecost – Whit Sunday
- Sunday 30th May – Year B Trinity Sunday
- Thursday 3rd June – Corpus Christi
- Sunday 6th June – Year B Proper 5, Ordinary 10, Trinity 1
- Sunday 13th June – Year B Proper 6, Ordinary 11, Trinity 2
- Sunday 20th June – Year B Proper 7, Ordinary 12, Trinity 3
- Sunday 27th June – Year B Proper 8, Ordinary 13, Trinity 4
- Sunday 4th July – Year B Proper 9, Ordinary 14, Trinity 5
- Sunday 11th July – Year B Proper 10, Ordinary 15, Trinity 6
- Sunday 18th July – Year B Proper 11, Ordinary 16, Trinity 7
Hymns Without Words Newest Recordings
- A Hymn Of Glory Let Us Sing! (Lasst Uns Erfreuen, Organ, 4 Verses)
- I Greet Thee Who My Sure Redeemer Art (Toulon, Organ, 5 Verses)
- Be Still For The Presence Of The Lord (Brass and Strings, 3 Verses)
- O Christ Who Holds The Open Gate (Gonfalon Royal, Organ, 4 Verses)
- Lord Jesus Christ (Living Lord, Piano & Flute, 4 Verses) – Hymns Without Words
- Bread Of The World In Mercy Broken (Rendez A Dieu, Organ, 2 Verses)
- When In Our Music God Is Glorified (Engelberg, Organ, 5 Verses)
- There’s A Wideness In God’s Mercy (Daily Daily, Organ, 3 Verses)
- A Love Song Soothes My Soul So (Suzi, Piano Ensemble, 3 Verses) – The Gardener’s Hymn
- Hail The Day That Sees Him Rise (Llanfair, Organ, 5 Verses)
- Come Let Us Join Our Cheerful Songs (Nativity, Organ, 4 Verses)
- Hail Thou Once Despisèd Jesus (Lux Eoi, Organ, 4 Verses)
Please listen to Lux Aeterna.
Sung beautifully by soprano Kinvara Jenkins
Hymns Available For Online Services
The founding principle of Hymns Without Words was to provide free access to quality recordings of hymns for churches who do not have live musicians in order to accompany their congregations during services. We are very happy to support online services, including those via platforms such as YouTube and Zoom as a way of meeting the pastoral needs of local communities. Please note if you use a recording on YouTube you may find there is a copyright claim for your use of it. This is normal and should not be of concern. Useful advice on licensing can be found Here.
All we ask is that you have an appropriate CCLI licence or equivalent and an acknowledgement of the source of the music. This can usually be found under the Recording heading on the the page for the individual hymns.
- Tune: Lasst Uns Erfreuen, composer anonymous from the Hymnal “Geistliche Kirchengesang, Cologne (1623)”, arranged by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 – 1958). Music Copyright © Oxford University Press. Used with permission.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2021 Richard M S Irwin. All rights reserved. ISRC UKTU21900340.
If you are unclear as to what to do, please Contact Us. If you would prefer not to download the tracks you can also find 100’s of our hymns on Amazon, Apple Music, Deezer, Google, iTunes, Soundcloud, Spotify and other online services.
- Please Click Here for a list of hymns available through this website.
- Please Click Here to request the addition of a hymn not yet available.
- Please Click Here to subscribe to our occasional newsletter. (Archive)
- Please Click Here to order a Bespoke CD for a service.
- For my latest recordings please follow Richard Irwin on: SoundCloud / Twitter / Facebook / Apple Music / Spotify