- Album: From Advent to Epiphany Volume 1
- Tune: Winchester New
- Meter: 76 76 676
- Style: Traditional German, Carol
- Composer: Unknown From Hymnal: Musikalisches Hanbuch (1690)
- Lyricist: Charles Coffin (1676 – 1749)
- Translator: John Chandler (1806 – 1876)
- Church Year: Advent, Baptism of Christ, Epiphany
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright © 2013 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.
RecordingsTo simplify issues with Copyright, we have had to start using various on-line delivery services for some hymns. A recording of this hymn is available on Richard Irwin's album - From Advent to Epiphany Volume 1 which can be found on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.
Carol – On Jordan’s bank – Lyrics
On Jordan’s bank the Baptist’s cry
announces that the Lord is nigh;
awake and hearken, for he brings
glad tidings of the King of kings.
Then cleansed be every breast from sin;
make straight the way for God within,
prepare we in our hearts a home
where such a mighty Guest may come.
For thou art our salvation, Lord,
our refuge and our great reward;
without thy grace we waste away
like flowers that wither and decay.
To heal the sick stretch out thine hand,
and bid the fallen sinner stand;
shine forth and let thy light restore
earth’s own true loveliness once more.
All praise, eternal Son, to thee,
whose advent doth thy people free;
whom with the Father we adore
and Holy Ghost for evermore.