On Jordan’s Bank : Lyrics
1. On Jordan’s bank the Baptist’s cry
announces that the Lord is nigh;
awake and hearken, for he brings
glad tidings of the King of kings.
2. Then cleansed be every breast from sin;
make straight the way for God within,
prepare we in our hearts a home
where such a mighty Guest may come.
3. For thou art our salvation, Lord,
our refuge and our great reward;
without thy grace we waste away
like flowers that wither and decay.
4. To heal the sick stretch out thine hand,
and bid the fallen sinner stand;
shine forth and let thy light restore
earth’s own true loveliness once more.
5. All praise, eternal Son, to thee,
whose advent doth thy people free;
whom with the Father we adore
and Holy Ghost for evermore.
- Lyricist: Charles Coffin (1676 – 1749), translated by John Chandler (1806 – 1876). Public Domain.
- Meter: LM.
On Jordan’s Bank : Recording
- Tune: Winchester New, a traditional German tune by an anonymous composer found originally in the Musikalisches Handbuch (1690). Public Domain
- Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®. ISRC UKTU21900415. All rights reserved.
On Jordan’s Bank : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.