On Jordan’s Bank : Lyrics
1. On Jordan’s bank the Baptist’s cry
announces that the Lord is nigh;
awake and hearken, for he brings
glad tidings of the King of kings.
2. Then cleansed be every breast from sin;
make straight the way for God within,
prepare we in our hearts a home
where such a mighty Guest may come.
3. For thou art our salvation, Lord,
our refuge and our great reward;
without thy grace we waste away
like flowers that wither and decay.
4. To heal the sick stretch out thine hand,
and bid the fallen sinner stand;
shine forth and let thy light restore
earth’s own true loveliness once more.
5. All praise, eternal Son, to thee,
whose advent doth thy people free;
whom with the Father we adore
and Holy Ghost for evermore.
- Lyricist: Charles Coffin (1676 – 1749), translated by John Chandler (1806 – 1876). Public Domain.
- Meter: LM.
On Jordan’s Bank : Recording
- Tune: Winchester New, a traditional German tune by an anonymous composer found originally in the Musikalisches Handbuch (1690). Public Domain
- Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®. ISRC UKTU21900415. All rights reserved.
On Jordan’s Bank : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.
Video of an older version.
The following are suggestions for Sundays and feast days when this hymn might be sung. Please feel free to contact us, if you have other suggestions.