- Album: Wedding Songs - Vol 1
- Tune: Down Ampney
- Meter: 66 11 D
- Style: Traditional English
- Composer: Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 – 1958)
- Lyricist: Bianco da Siena (d. 1434)
- Translator: Richard Frederick Littledale (1833 – 1890)
- Church Year: Pentecost / Church Year: General / Church Year: Weddings
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performances Copyright © 2009 and 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved
To simplify issues with Copyright, we have had to start using various on-line delivery services for some hymns. Spotify is available on either a free or low cost subscription basis, other services will charge a small fee for the download, but you can keep and reuse the recordings, which are available from Amazon, Google Music, iTunes and Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.Click Here to Download
Hymn – Come down, O love Divine – Lyrics
Come down, O love divine, seek Thou this soul of mine,
And visit it with Thine own ardor glowing.
O Comforter, draw near, within my heart appear,
And kindle it, Thy holy flame bestowing.
O let it freely burn, til earthly passions turn
To dust and ashes in its heat consuming;
And let Thy glorious light shine ever on my sight,
And clothe me round, the while my path illuming.
Let holy charity mine outward vesture be,
And lowliness become mine inner clothing;
True lowliness of heart, which takes the humbler part,
And o’er its own shortcomings weeps with loathing.
And so the yearning strong, with which the soul will long,
Shall far outpass the power of human telling;
For none can guess its grace, till he become the place
Wherein the Holy Spirit makes His dwelling.