Child in the manger, Infant of Mary,
Outcast and Stranger, Lord of all,
Child Who inherits all our transgressions,
All our demerits on Him fall.
Once the most holy Child of salvation
Gently and lowly lived below.
Now as our glorious mighty Redeemer,
See Him victorious o’er each foe.
Prophets foretold Him, Infant of wonder;
Angels behold Him on His throne.
Worthy our Savior of all our praises;
Happy forever are His own.
The original Gaelic version of this carol can be found here: Leanabh an àigh
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship (including online services) or for personal use only. The track may also be found on various online music systems, which can be used for downloads if they are listed in the section below. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us.
DonationIf you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Click Here to Download
- Tune: Bunessan
- Meter: 55 54 D
- Style: Traditional Gaelic, Celtic, Scottish, Carol
- Church Year: Christmas
- Composer: Unknown
- arranger: Richard Mark Stephen Irwin (b. 1955)
- Lyricist: Mary M. Macdonald (1789-1872) in Gaelic
- English language Translator: Lachlan Macbean (1853-1931) in Hymnal: Songs and Hymns of the Gael (published Edinburgh, Scotland: 1888).
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performances Copyright © 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved