- Tune: Bunessan
- Meter: 55 54 D
- Style: Traditional Gaelic, Celtic, Scottish, Carol
- Church Year: Christmas
- Composer: Unknown
- arranger: Richard Mark Stephen Irwin (b. 1955)
- Lyricist: Mary M. Macdonald (1789-1872) in Gaelic
- English language Translator: Lachlan Macbean (1853-1931) in Hymnal: Songs and Hymns of the Gael (published Edinburgh, Scotland: 1888).
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performances Copyright © 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved
The original Gaelic version of this carol can be found here: Leanabh an àigh
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance Copyright ℗ belongs to Richard Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. Click Here to Download
Carol – Child in the manger – Lyrics
Child in the manger, Infant of Mary,
Outcast and Stranger, Lord of all,
Child Who inherits all our transgressions,
All our demerits on Him fall.
Once the most holy Child of salvation
Gently and lowly lived below.
Now as our glorious mighty Redeemer,
See Him victorious o’er each foe.
Prophets foretold Him, Infant of wonder;
Angels behold Him on His throne.
Worthy our Savior of all our praises;
Happy forever are His own.