- Album: From Advent to Epiphany Volume 1
- Tune: Veni Emmanuel
- Meter: LM and Refrain
- Style: Mediaeval, Carol
- Church Year: Advent, Christmas
- Composer: Unknown adapted by arranger: Thomas Helmore (1811 – 1890) from French Missal – this version arranger: Richard Mark Stephen Irwin
- Lyricist: Unknown from Great O Antiphons (12th – 13th Century)
- Translator: John Mason Neale (1818 – 1866)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2013 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.
RecordingsTo simplify issues with Copyright, we have had to start using various on-line delivery services for some hymns. A recording of this hymn is available on Richard Irwin's album - From Advent to Epiphany Volume 1 which can be found on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.
Carol – O come, O come Emmanuel – Lyrics
1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
2. O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory o’er the grave. Refrain
3. O come, Thou dayspring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death’s dark shadows put to flight! Refrain
4. O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery. Refrain
5. O come, O come, Thou Lord of Might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times didst give the law4
In cloud, and majesty, and awe. Refrain
1. Veni, Veni Emmanuel!
Captivum solve Israel!
Qui gemit in exsilio,
Privatus Dei Filio.
Gaude, gaude, Emmanuel
Nascetur pro te, Israel.
2. Veni, O Jesse virgula,
Ex hostis tuos ungula,
De specu tuos tartari
Educ et antro barathri. Refrain
3. Veni, Veni O Oriens!
Solare nos adveniens,
Noctis depelle nebulas,
Dirasque noctis tenebras. Refrain
4. Veni, Clavis Davidica,
Regna reclude caelica,
Fac iter tutum superum,
Et claude vias inferum. Refrain
5. Veni, Veni Adonai!
Qui populo in Sinai
Legem dedisti vertice,
In Majestate gloriae. Refrain