Hymn – Father, hear the prayer we offer – Lyrics
Father, hear the prayer we offer:
Not for ease that prayer shall be,
But for strength that we may ever
Live our lives courageously.
Not for ever in green pastures
Do we ask our way to be;
But the steep and rugged pathway
May we tread rejoicingly.
Not for ever by still waters
Would we idly rest and stay;
But would smith the living fountains
From the rocks along our way.
Be our strength in hours of weakness,
In our wanderings be our guide;
Through endeavour, failure, danger,
Father, be thou at our side.
Recording – Extract OnlyWe apologise that because of rules governing copyright means we cannot make a version of this hymn available on our web site for download. Please Click Here to email us about obtaining a recording of this hymn. The recording should only be used during services of Divine Worship and cannot be distributed.
- Tune: Sussex
- Meter: 87 87
- Style: Traditional English
- Composer: Unknown adapted by arranger: Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 – 1958)
- Lyricist: Love Maria Whitcomb Willis (1824 – 1908)
- Church Year: General
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.