- Album: From Advent to Epiphany Volume 3
- Tune: Stuttgart
- Meter: 87 87
- Style: Baroque Style: Carol
- Church Year: Christmas / Church Year: Epiphany
- Composer: Unknown German melody arranger: Christian Friedrich Witt (c.1660 – 1716)
- Lyricist: Aurelius Clemens Prudentius (348 – c.413)
- Translator: Edward Caswall (1814 – 1878)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2013 Richard M S Irwin, Certain rights reserved.
RecordingsTo simplify issues with Copyright, we have had to start using various on-line delivery services for some hymns. A recording of this hymn is available on Richard Irwin's album - "From Advent to Epiphany Volume 3" on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.
Carol – Earth has many a noble city – Lyrics
Earth has many a noble city;
Bethlehem, thou dost all excel;
Out of thee the Lord from Heaven
Came to rule His Israel.
Fairer than the sun at morning
Was the star that told His birth,
To the world its God announcing
Seen in fleshly form on earth.
Eastern sages at His cradle
Make oblations rich and rare;
See them give, in deep devotion,
Gold and frankincense and myrrh.
Sacred gifts of mystic meaning:
Incense doth their God disclose,
Gold the King of kings proclaimeth,
Myrrh His sepulchre foreshows.
Jesu, whom the Gentiles worshipped
At Thy glad Epiphany,
Unto Thee, with God the Father
And the Spirit, glory be.