Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.
Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
ExtractWe apologise that because of rules governing copyright means we cannot have a complete version of this hymn on our web site for download. Please Click Here to email us about a recording of this hymn. To use it you must have the appropriate CCLI Licences and use it only for Divine Worship.
- Tune: Finlandia
- Meter: 10 10 10 10 10 10
- Style: Traditional Finnish
- Composer: Jean Sibelius (1865 – 1957)
- Lyricist: Katharina Amalia Dorothea Von Schlegal (b. 1697)
- Translator: Jane L. Borthwick (1813-1897)
- Church Year: General, Funeral, Passiontide
- Music Copyright © Breitkopf and Härtel
- Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.