From the album Christmas Joy – Beloved Carols for Church and Singers, also available on CD.
While Shepherds Watched : Recording
- Tune: Winchester Old, composed by Christopher Tye (c1505-1573) from Thomas Este’s Psalter (1592). Public Domain.
- Meter: CM.
- Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®. ISRC UKTU21900407. All rights reserved.
While Shepherds Watched : Lyrics
1. While shepherds watched their flocks by night,
all seated on the ground;
the angel of the Lord came down,
and glory shone around.
2. “Fear not!” said he, (for mighty dread
had seized their troubled mind):
“Glad tidings of great joy I bring
to you and all mankind.”
3. “To you, in David’s town, this day
is born of David’s line
a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord,
and this shall be the sign:”
4. “The heavenly babe you there shall find
to human view displayed,
all meanly wrapped in swathing bands,
and in a manger laid.”
5. Thus spake the seraph and forthwith
appeared a shining throng
of angels praising God, who thus
addressed their joyful song:
6. “All glory be to God on high,
and to the earth be peace;
good will henceforth from heaven to men
begin and never cease!”
While Shepherds Watched : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®. You have permission to download this track for personal use or use in Church services. For any other use, please Contact Us.
This website is free to use, but not to operate. If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Many thanks.Click Here to Download
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list.
Available from MobileHymns.org
Video – an older version
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.