The Royal Banners Forward Go : Lyrics
1. The royal banners forward go,
The cross shines forth in mystic glow;
Where he in flesh, our flesh who made,
Our sentence bore, our ransom paid.
2. There whilst he hung, his sacred side
By soldier’s spear was opened wide,
To cleanse us in that precious flood,
Where mingled water flowed, and blood.
3. Fulfilled is all that David told
In true prophetic song of old,
Amidst the nations, God, saith he,
Hath reigned and triumphed from the tree.
4. O tree of beauty, tree most fair,
Ordained those holy limbs to bear,
How bright in purple robe it stood,
The purple of a Saviour’s blood!
5. Upon its arms, like balance true,
He weighed the price for sinners due,
The price which none but he could pay,
And spoiled the spoiler of his prey.
6. To thee, eternal Three in One,
Let homage meet by all be done:
Whom by the cross thou dost restore,
Preserve and govern evermore. Amen.
- Lyricist: Venantius Fortunatus (530 – 609) translated by John Mason Neale (1818 – 1866). Public Domain.
- Meter: LM.
The Royal Banners Forward Go : Recording
- Tune: Gonfalon Royal, composed by Percy Carter Buck (1871-1947). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2022 Richard Irwin Music®. All rights reserved. ISRC UKTU21900496.
- Cover image by Johannes Plenio.
The Royal Banners Forward Go : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list. Please also follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.Click Here to Download
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
Lectionary and Other Uses
- Years A, B, C
- Feast of St Stephen
- Holy Week Tuesday
- Holy Week Wednesday
- Good Friday
- Lectionary Year A
- Year A Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Lectionary Year B
- Year B Lent 2
- Year B Lent 3
- Year B Lent 5
- Year B Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year B Proper 6, Ordinary 11, Trinity 2
- Year B Feast of Christ The King
- Lectionary Year C
- Year C Lent 5
- Year C Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion