The Royal Banners Forward Go Lyrics
1. The royal banners forward go,
The cross shines forth in mystic glow;
Where he in flesh, our flesh who made,
Our sentence bore, our ransom paid.
2. There whilst he hung, his sacred side
By soldier’s spear was opened wide,
To cleanse us in that precious flood,
Where mingled water flowed, and blood.
3. Fulfilled is all that David told
In true prophetic song of old,
Amidst the nations, God, saith he,
Hath reigned and triumphed from the tree.
4. O tree of beauty, tree most fair,
Ordained those holy limbs to bear,
How bright in purple robe it stood,
The purple of a Saviour’s blood!
5. Upon its arms, like balance true,
He weighed the price for sinners due,
The price which none but he could pay,
And spoiled the spoiler of his prey.
6. To thee, eternal Three in One,
Let homage meet by all be done:
Whom by the cross thou dost restore,
Preserve and govern evermore.
Meter: LM. Lyricist: Venantius Fortunatus (530 – 609) translated by John Mason Neale (1818 – 1866). Public Domain.
Gonfalon Royal ~ Recording
- Tune: Gonfalon Royal, composed by Percy Carter Buck (1871 – 1947). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2017 Richard M S Irwin, Certain rights reserved.
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship (including online services) or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.