It Is A Thing Most Wonderful : Lyrics
1. It is a thing most wonderful,
Almost too wonderful to be,
That God’s own Son should come from Heav’n,
And die to save a child like me.
2. And yet I know that it is true;
He chose a poor and humble lot,
And wept and toiled and mourned and died,
For love of those who loved Him not.
3. I cannot tell how He could love
A child so weak and full of sin;
His love must be most wonderful,
If He could die my love to win.
4. I sometimes think about the cross,
And shut my eyes, and try to see
The cruel nails and crown of thorns,
And Jesus crucified for me.
5. But even could I see Him die,
I could but see a little part
Of that great love, which, like a fire,
Is always burning in His heart.
6. It is most wonderful to know
His love for me so free and sure;
But ’tis more wonderful to see
My love for Him so faint and poor.
7. And yet I want to love Thee, Lord;
Oh, light the flame within my heart,
And I will love Thee more and more,
Until I see Thee as Thou art.
- Lyricist: William Walsham How (1823-1897)
- Meter: LM.
It Is A Thing Most Wonderful : Recording
- Tune: Herongate, a traditional English tune collected by Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872-1958). This arrangement: Copyright © 2011 Richard M S Irwin (b. 1955).
- Performance ℗ 2022 Richard Irwin Music®. All rights reserved. ISRC UKTU21900494.
- Cover image by Johannes Plenio.
It Is A Thing Most Wonderful : Free MP3 Recording
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list. Please also follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.
But the PDF Score Of This Arrangement
The following are suggestions for Sundays and feast days when this hymn might be sung. Please feel free to contact us, if you have other suggestions.
- Years A, B and C
- All Saints
- Holy Week Wednesday
- Good Friday
- Lectionary Year A
- Year A Lent 2
- Year A Lent 5
- Year A Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year A Proper 11, Ordinary 16 Trinity 6
- Year A Proper 13, Ordinary 18, Trinity 8
- Year A Proper 22, Ordinary 27, Trinity 17
- Lectionary Year B
- Year B Epiphany 2
- Year B Lent 4
- Year B Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year B Easter 3
- Year B Proper 6, Ordinary 11, Trinity 2
- Year B Proper 24, Ordinary 29, Trinity 20
- Lectionary Year C
- Year C Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year C Proper 18, Ordinary 23, Trinity 12
- Year C Proper 24, Ordinary 29, Trinity 18
Is it O.K. to play a recording of “It is a thing most wonderful” – tune Herongate sung by Trinity College Cambridge at my mother’s funeral at the beginning of August. As hymns cannot be sung due to the COVID-19 pandemic I thought it would be uplifting to play a recording of the above.
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I do not control the copyright for this recording, but pretty certain that the Church will have a CCLI licence in place that should allow them to play the hymn at your mother’s funeral.
Joy and blessings