It Fell Upon A Summer Day : Lyrics
1. It fell upon a summer day,
When Jesus walked in Galilee,
The mothers from a village brought
Their children to his knee.
2. He took them in his arms, and laid
His hands on each remembered head;
“Allow these little ones to come
To me,’ he gently said.
3. ‘Forbid them not; unless ye bear
The childlike heart your hearts within,
Unto my kingdom ye may come,
But may not enter in.’
4. My Lord, I fain would enter there;
O let me follow thee, and share
Thy meek and lowly heart, and be
Freed from all worldly care.
5. O happy thus to live and move,
And sweet this world, where I shall find
God’s beauty everywhere, his love,
His good in humankind.
6. Then, Father, grant this childlike heart,
That I may come to Christ, and feel
His hands on me in blessing laid,
Love-giving, strong to heal.
- Lyrics by Stopford Augustus Brooke (1832-1916)
- Meter: 88 86
It Fell Upon A Summer Day : Recording
- Tune: Childhood, traditional Welsh first published by University of Wales (1923). Public Domain.
- Recorded by Richard Irwin Music®Richard Irwin (b. 1955). Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®.
It Fell Upon A Summer Day : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship (including online services) or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. To keep up to date with the latest recordings, please follow us on SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.