I Cannot Tell : Lyrics
1. I cannot tell why he, whom angels worship,
Should set his love upon the sons of men,
Or why, as Shepherd, he should seek the wanderers,
To bring them back, they know not how or when.
But this I know, that he was born of Mary
When Bethl’em’s manger was his only home,
And that he lived at Nazareth and laboured,
And so the Saviour, Saviour of the world, is come.
2. I cannot tell how silently he suffered,
As with his peace he graced this place of tears,
Or how his heart upon the cross was broken,
The crown of pain to three and thirty years.
But this I know, he heals the broken-hearted
And stays our sin and calms our lurking fear
And lifts the burden from the heavy laden;
For still the Saviour, Saviour of the world is here.
3. I cannot tell how he will win the nations,
How he will claim his earthly heritage,
How satisfy the needs and aspirations
Of east and west, of sinner and of sage.
But this I know, all flesh shall see his glory,
And he shall reap the harvest he has sown,
And some glad day his sun will shine in splendour
When he the Saviour, Saviour of the world, is known.
4. I cannot tell how all the lands shall worship,
When at his bidding every storm is stilled,
Or who can say how great the jubilation
When every heart with love and joy is filled.
But this I know, the skies will thrill with rapture,
And myriad myriad human voices sing,
And earth to heav’n, and heav’n to earth, will answer,
‘At last the Saviour, Saviour of the world, is King!’
I Cannot Tell : Recording
- Tune: Londonderry Air, a traditional Irish tune. Melody Public Domain, arrangement Copyright © 2020 Richard M S Irwin. All rights reserved.
- Performance ℗ 2020 Richard Irwin Music®. All Rights Reserved
I Cannot Tell : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording is in copyright and a Licence has been obtained to create it. A Limited Online Music Licence (OLE-00000028561) has been obtained to allow you to download the music services for use in services of Divine Worship. Please Contact Us.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list. Please also follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
To listen on one of the popular streaming services such as Apple Music, Deezer, Google Play, Napster, Spotify etc, Click Here.
Lectionary And Other Uses
- Years A, B and C
- Feast Of The Blessed Virgin Mary
- Lectionary Year A
- Year A Christmas 1
- Year A Holy Name Of Jesus
- Year A Lent 3
- Year A Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year A Proper 7, Ordinary 12, Trinity 2
- Year A Proper 15, Ordinary 20, Trinity 10
- Lectionary Year B
- Year B Advent 3
- Year B Epiphany 2
- Lectionary Year C
- Year C Christmas 1
- Year C 2nd Sunday Before Lent
- Year C Lent 4
- Year C Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year C Easter 3
- Year C Proper 22, Ordinary 27, Trinity 16