O Sacred Head Surrounded : Lyrics
1. O Sacred head, surrounded
By crown of piercing thorn!
O bleeding head, so wounded,
Reviled and put to scorn!
Death’s pallid hue comes over you
The glow of life decays,
Yet angel hosts adore thee
And tremble as they gaze
2. I see thy strength and vigour
All fading in the strife,
And death with cruel rigor,
Bereaving thee of life;
O agony and dying!
O love to sinners free!
Jesus, all grace supplying,
O turn thy face on me.
3. In this thy bitter passion,
Good Shepherd, think of me
With thy most sweet compassion,
Unworthy though I be:
Beneath thy cross abiding
For ever would I rest,
In thy dear love confiding,
And with thy presence blest.
- Lyricist: Paul Gerhardt (1607 – 1676), translated by Henry Williams Baker (1821 – 1877). Public Domain.
- Meter: 76 76 D .
O Sacred Head Surrounded : Recording
- Tune: Passion Chorale, (Herzlich Tut Mich Verlangen) composed by Hans Leo Hassler (1564-1612) and harmonised by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2022 Richard Irwin Music®. All rights reserved
O Sacred Head Surrounded : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list. Please also follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
Lectionary and Other Uses
- Holy Week Wednesday
- Good Friday
- Year A Lent 3
- Year A Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year A Proper 22, Ordinary 27, Trinity 17
- Year B Lent 1
- Year B Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year C Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion