Click here for other settings of Lead Kindly Light.
Lead Kindly Light : Recording, Lux Benigna
- Tune: Lux Benigna, composed by John Bacchus Dykes (1823-1876). Meter: 10 4 10 4 10 10. Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2023 Richard Irwin Music®. All rights reserved. ISRC UKTU22300620.
- Cover image by Frank Winkler from Pixabay
Lead Kindly Light : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®. You have permission to download this track for personal use or use in Church services. For any other use, please Contact Us.
This website is free to use, but not to operate. If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider an occasional donation to help keep this service free. Many thanks.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list.
Also, please follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram.
Lead Kindly Light : Lyrics
(The 3 verse recording omits verse 4.)
1. Lead, kindly Light, amid th’encircling gloom,
Lead Thou me on!
The night is dark, and I am far from home;
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet; I do no ask to see
The distant scene, one step enough for me.
2. I was not ever thus, nor prayed that Thou
Shouldst lead me on;
I loved to choose and see my path; but now
Lead thou me on!
I loved the garish day, and, spite of fears,
Pride ruled my will.
Remember not past years!
3. So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still
Will lead me on;
O’er moor and fen, o’er crag and torrent, ’til
The night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile,
Which I have loved long since, and lost a-while.
4. Meantime, along the narrow rugged path,
Thyself hast trod,
Lead, Saviour, lead me home in child-like faith,
Home to my God.
To rest forever after earthly strife
In the calm light of everlasting life.
- Lyrics: John Henry Newman (1801 – 1890). Public Domain.
- Meter: 10 4 10 4 10 10.