Deck Thyself My Soul With Gladness : Lyrics
Also known as Soul Adorn Thyself With Gladness
1. Deck thyself, my soul, with gladness,
Leave the gloomy haunts of sadness;
Come into the daylight’s splendour,
There with joy thy praises render
Unto him whose grace unbounded
Hath this wondrous banquet founded:
High o’er all the heavens he reigneth,
Yet to dwell with thee he deigneth.
2. Sun, who all my life dost brighten,
Light, who dost my soul enlighten,
Joy, the sweetest heart e’er knoweth,
Fount, whence all my being floweth,
At thy feet I cry, my Maker,
Let me be a fit partaker
Of this blessed food from heaven,
For our good, thy glory, given.
3. Jesus, Bread of Life, I pray thee,
Let me gladly here obey thee;
Never to my hurt invited,
Be thy love with love requited:
From this banquet let me measure,
Lord, how vast and deep its treasure;
Through the gifts thou here dost give me,
As thy guest in heaven receive me.
- Original German text by Johann Franck (1618-1677), translated by Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878) . Public Domain.
- Meter: DLM.
Deck Thyself My Soul With Gladness : Recording
- Tune: Schücke Dich, composed by Johann Crüger (1598-1662). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®. All Rights Reserved.
Deck Thyself My Soul With Gladness : Free MP3 Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.Right-Click Here to Download