Lord of our life and God of our salvation,
Star of our night and Hope of ev’ry nation:
Hear and receive Your Church’s supplication,
Lord God Almighty.
See round Your ark the hungry billows curling;
See how Your foes their banners are unfurling
And with great spite their fiery darts are hurling,
O Lord, preserve us.
Lord, be our light when worldly darkness veils us;
Lord, be our shield when earthly armour fails us;
And in the day when hell itself assails us,
Grant us Your peace, Lord:
Peace in our hearts, where sinful thoughts are raging,
Peace in Your Church, our troubled souls assuaging,
Peace when the world its endless war is waging,
Peace in Your heaven.
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
Click Here to Download
- Tune: Cloisters
- Meter: 11 11 11 5
- Style: Victorian Hymn
- Church Year, General, Lent, Passiontide, Trinity, Ash Wednesday
- Composer: Joseph Barnby (1838 -- 1899)
- Lyricist: Matthäus Apelles von Löwenstern (1594-1648)
- Translator: Philip Pusey (1799 -1855)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2020 Richard M S Irwin. All rights reserved.
- ISRC: UKTU21900071
- UPC: 5060707370658