There Is A Green Hill Far Away : Lyrics
1. There is a green hill far away,
Outwith* a city wall,
Where the dear Lord was crucified,
Who died to save us all.
2. We may not know, we cannot tell,
What pains He had to bear;
But we believe it was for us
He hung and suffered there.
3. He died that we might be forgiv’n,
He died to make us good,
That we might go at last to Heav’n,
Saved by His precious blood.
4. There was no other good enough
To pay the price of sin;
He only could unlock the gate
Of heaven and let us in.
5. O dearly, dearly has He loved,
And we must love Him too,
And trust in His redeeming blood,
And try His works to do.
* Outwith is a Scots word, other sources give “Without” or “Outside”.
There Is A Green Hill Far Away : Recording
- Tune: Horsley, composed by William Horsley (1774-1858). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2021 Richard Irwin Music®. All Rights Reserved. ISRC UKTU21900425.
There Is A Green Hill Far Away : Download
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights belong to Richard Irwin Music®.
If you use our free MP3 hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, add your email address to our newsletter list. Please also follow us on Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, SoundCloud, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
To listen using streaming services such as SoundCloud, Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, Tidal, Amazon, Deezer etc. Click Here.
The following are suggestions for Sundays and feast days when this hymn might be sung. Please feel free to contact us, if you have other suggestions.
- Years A, B and C
- Holy Week Tuesday
- Good Friday
- Lectionary Year A
- Year A Lent 2
- Year A Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Year A Easter 4
- Lectionary Year B
- Year B Epiphany 2
- Year B Lent 1
- Year B Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion
- Lectionary Year C
- Year C Palm Sunday – Liturgy of The Palms and Liturgy of The Passion