Hark, the glad sound! The Saviour comes,
the Saviour promised long!
Let ev’ry heart prepare a throne,
and ev’ry voice a song.
He comes the pris’ners to release,
in Satan’s bondage held;
the gates of brass before Him burst,
the iron fetters yield.
He comes to free the captive mind, *
where evil thoughts control,
and for the darkness of the blind
gives light that makes them whole.
He comes the broken heart to bind,
the bleeding soul to cure,
and with the treasures of His grace
t’enrich the humbled poor.
Our glad Hosannas, Prince of Peace,
Thy welcome shall proclaim;
and heav’n’s eternal arches ring
with Thy beloved Name.
* Many sources omit this verse. Request 5 verse recording to include it.
Recording – Extract Only
Available in 4 and 5 verse versions.We apologise that because of rules governing copyright means we cannot have a complete version of this hymn on our web site for download. Please Click Here to email us about a recording of this hymn. To use it you must have the appropriate CCLI Licences and use it only for Divine Worship.
- Tune: Crediton
- Meter: CM
- Style: Classical
- Church Year: Advent
- Composer: Thomas Clark (1775 – 1859)
- Harmonised by: Martin Shaw (1875 – 1958)
- Lyricist: Philip Doddridge (1702 – 1751)
- Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Harmonisation Copyright Oxford University Press
- Performances Copyright ℗ 2018 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved