Firmly I believe and truly
God is Three, and God is One;
And I next acknowledge duly
Manhood taken by the Son.
And I trust and hope most fully
In that Manhood crucified;
And each thought and deed unruly
Do to death, as He has died.
Simply to His grace and wholly
Light and life and strength belong,
And I love supremely, solely,
Him the holy, Him the strong.
And I hold in veneration,
For the love of Him alone,
Holy Church as His creation,
And her teachings are His own.
And I take with joy whatever
Now besets me, pain or fear,
And with a strong will I sever
All the ties which bind me here.
Adoration aye be given,
With and through the angelic host,
To the God of earth and Heaven,
Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Recording – Extract OnlyWe apologise that because of rules governing copyright means we cannot make a version of this hymn available on our web site for download. Please Click Here to email us about obtaining a recording of this hymn. The recording should only be used during services of Divine Worship and cannot be distributed.
- Tune: Shipston
- Meter: 87 87
- Style: Traditional English
- Composer: Unknown arranger: Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 – 1958)
- Lyricist: John Henry Newman (1801 – 1890)
- Church Year: Trinity
- Music Copyright Oxford University Press
- Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright © 2011 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.