- Tune: Abridge
- Meter: CM
- Style: Classical
- Church Year: General | Church Year: Trinity
- Composer: Isaac Smith (1734 – 1805)
- Lyricist: Isaac Williams (1802-1865) in Hymns on the Catechism 1842
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright © 2016 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.
To keep up to date with the latest recordings, please follow us on SoundCloud and Facebook. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Click Here to Download
Hymn – Be Thou my guardian and my guide – Lyrics
Be Thou my Guardian and my guide;
And hear me when I call;
Let not my slippery footsteps slide,
And hold me lest I fall.
The world, the flesh, and Satan dwell
Around the path I tread;
O, save me from the snares of hell,
Thou quickener of the dead.
And if I tempted am to sin,
And outward things are strong,
Do Thou, O Lord, keep watch within,
And save my soul from wrong.
Still let me ever watch and pray,
And feel that I am frail;
That if the tempter cross my way,
Yet he may not prevail.