Blest Creator Of The Light Lyrics
1. Blest Creator of the light,
making day with radiance bright,
thou didst o’er the forming earth
give the golden light its birth.
2. Thou didst mark the night from day
with the dawn’s first piercing ray:
darkness now is drying nigh;
listen to our humble cry.
3. May we ne’er by guilt depressed
lose the way to endless rest;
nor with idle thoughts and vain
bind our souls to earth again.
4. Rather may we heav’nward rise
where eternal treasure lies;
purified by grace within,
hating ev’ry deed of sin.
5. Holy Father, hear our cry
through thy Son our Lord most high,
who our thankful hearts adore
with the Spirit evermore.
Meter: 77 77. Lyrics from the office hymn traditionally sung at Sunday Vespers between Epiphany and Lent and following year-a-pentecost, translated by John Chandler (1806 – 1876) – Hymns Without Words. Public Domain.
- Tune: Vienna, composed by Justin Heinrich Knecht (1752 – 1817). Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2020 Richard M S Irwin, All rights reserved. ISRC: UKTU21900068.
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship (including online services) or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
Lectionary And Other Uses