The race that long in darkness pined,
Have seen a glorious Light;
The people dwell in day, who dwelt
In death’s surrounding night.
To hail Thy rise, Thou better Sun,
The gathering nations come,
Joyous as when the reapers bear
The harvest treasures home.
To us a Child of Hope is born,
To us a Son is given,
Him shall the tribes of earth obey,
Him all the hosts of heaven.
His Name shall be the Prince of Peace,
The Wonderful, the Counselor,
The great and mighty Lord.
His power increasing still shall spread,
His reign no end shall know:
Justice shall guard His throne above,
And peace abound below.
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance Copyright ℗ belongs to Richard Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. Click Here to Download
- Tune: St Fulbert
- Meter: CM
- Verses: 5
- Church Year: Advent Carol
- Composer: Henry John Gauntlett (1805 – 1876)
- Lyricist: John Morrison (1750 – 1798) based on Isaiah 9.2 – 7
- Music and Lyrics Copyright: Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2013 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.