Jesus Joy Of Our Desiring Lyrics 1. Jesus joy of our desiring, Holy wisdom, love most bright; Drawn by thee,More
Robert Seymour Bridges (1844-1930)
Robert Seymour Bridges (1844-1930) was a British poet, and poet laureate from 1913 to 1930. Bridges was born in Walmer, Kent, in the UK, and educated at Eton College and Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He went on to study medicine in London at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, intending to practise until the age of forty and then retire to write poetry.
He practised as a casualty physician at his teaching hospital (where he made a series of highly critical remarks about the Victorian medical establishment) and subsequently as a full physician to the Great (later Royal) Northern Hospital. He was also a physician to the Hospital for Sick Children.
Lung disease forced him to retire in 1882, and from that point on he devoted himself to writing and literary research. However, Bridges’ literary work started long before his retirement, his first collection of poems having been published in 1873. In 1884 he married Monica Waterhouse, daughter of Alfred Waterhouse R.A., and spent the rest of his life in rural seclusion, first at Yattendon, Berkshire, then at Boars Hill, Oxford, where he died.
He was elected to the Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of London in 1900.
He was appointed Poet Laureate in 1913, the only medical graduate to have held the office.
The poet Elizabeth Daryush was his daughter.
- Abide With Me (Eventide, Brass Band, 5 Verses)
- As With Gladness Men Of Old (Dix, Organ, 5 Verses)
- At The Name Of Jesus (Evelyns, Organ, 7 Verses)
- Christ The Lord Is Risen Today (Easter Hymn, Organ, 6 Verses)
- For The Beauty Of The Earth (Dix, Organ, 5 Verses)
- Hail To The Lord’s Anointed (Crüger, Organ, 5 Verses)
- Hark A Herald Voice Is Calling (Merton, Organ and Trumpet, 5 Verses)
- Jesus Calls Us O’er The Tumult (Merton, Organ, 5 Verses)
- Jesus Christ Is Risen Today (Easter Hymn, Organ, 3 Verses)
- Jesus Christ Is Risen Today (Easter Hymn, Organ, 4 Verses)
- Lord Thy Word Abideth (Ravenshaw, Organ, 6 Verses)
- Now Thank We All Our God (Nun Danket, Organ, 3 Verses)
- Soldiers Of Christ Arise (St Ethelwald, Organ, 6 Verses)
- The Strife Is O’er The Battle Done (Victory, Organ, 4 Verses)
- Who Are These Like Stars Appearing (All Saints, Organ, 5 Verses)
God That Madest Earth And Heaven (Ar Hyd Y Nos, Organ, 2 Verses) Free Download
God That Madest Earth And Heaven : Recording Set to the traditional Welsh tune Ar Hyd Y Nos. Arranged byMore
O Sacred Head Sore Wounded (Passion Chorale, Organ, 5 Verses)
O Sacred Head Sore Wounded : Lyrics 1. O sacred head, sore wounded, Defiled and put to scorn; O kinglyMore
All My Hope On God Is Founded (Michael, Organ, 4 Verses)
All My Hope On God Is Founded : Recording Tune: Michael, composed by Herbert Howells (1892 – 1983). Music ©More
Ah Holy Jesu How Hast Thou Offended (Herzliebster Jesu, Organ, 5 Verses) Download For Free
Ah Holy Jesu How Hast Thou Offended : Recording Tune: Herzliebster Jesu, composed by Johann Crüger (1598 – 1662) andMore