Hymn – O Sacred head, surrounded – Lyrics
O Sacred head, surrounded
by crown of piercing thorn!
O bleeding head, so wounded,
reviled and put to scorn!
Death’s pallid hue comes over you
The glow of life decays,
yet angel hosts adore thee
and tremble as they gaze
I see thy strength and vigor
all fading in the strife,
and death with cruel rigor,
bereaving thee of life;
O agony and dying!
O love to sinners free!
Jesus, all grace supplying,
O turn thy face on me.
In this thy bitter passion,
Good Shepherd, think of me
with thy most sweet compassion,
unworthy though I be:
beneath thy cross abiding
for ever would I rest,
in thy dear love confiding,
and with thy presence blest.
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance Copyright ℗ belongs to Richard Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. Click Here to Download
- Tune: Passion Chorale
- Meter: 76 76 D
- Style: Lutheran, German Reformation, Baroque
- Church Year: Lent, Passiontide
- Composer: Hans Leo Hassler (1564 – 1612)
- Arranger: Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750)
- Lyricist: Paul Gerhardt (1607 – 1676)
- Translator: Henry Williams Baker (1821 – 1877)
- Music and Lyrics Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2018 Richard M S Irwin, Certain rights reserved.