- Album: From Advent to Epiphany Volume 3
- Tune: Forest Green with Descant
- Meter: DCM
- Verses 4
- Style: Carol
- Composer: Unknown
- Original arranger: Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 – 1958).
- This recording arranger: Richard M S Irwin (b. 1955)
- Lyricist: Phillips Brooks (1835 – 1893)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2013 Richard M S Irwin. All rights reserved.
To simplify issues with Copyright, we have had to start using various on-line delivery services for some hymns. A recording of this hymn is available on Richard Irwin's album - "From Advent to Epiphany Volume 3" on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.Click Here to Download
Carol – O little town of Bethlehem – Lyrics
O little town of Bethlehem,
How still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light;
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight.
For Christ is born of Mary;
And gathered all above,
While mortals sleep, the angels keep
Their watch of wondering love;
O morning stars, together
Proclaim the holy birth,
And praises sing to God the King,
And Peace to men on earth.
How silently, how silently,
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may his His coming;
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still,
The dear Christ enters in.
O holy Child of Bethlehem,
Descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin and enter in,
Be born to us today.
We hear the Christmas angels
The great glad tidings tell:
O come to us, abide with us,
Our Lord Emmanuel.