1. Lord, teach us how to pray aright
With reverence and with fear;
Though dust and ashes in thy sight,
We may, we must, draw near.
2. We perish if we cease from prayer:
O grant us power to pray;
And, when to meet thee we prepare,
Lord, meet us by the way.
3. God of all grace, we bring to thee
A broken, contrite heart;
Give what thine eye delights to see,
Truth in the inward part;
4. Faith in the only sacrifice
That can for sin atone,
To cast our hopes, to fix our eyes,
On Christ, on Christ alone;
5. Patience to watch and wait and weep,
Though mercy long delay;
Courage our fainting souls to keep,
And trust thee though thou slay.
6. Give these, and then thy will be done;
Thus, strengthened with all might,
We, through thy Spirit and thy Son,
Shall pray, and pray aright.
RecordingsThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. You may also use streaming and online services, if they are listed in the section below, to obtain a download of the recording. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us.
DonationIf you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Click Here to Download
- Tune: St Hugh
- Meter: CM
- Style: Victorian Hymn
- Composer: Edward John Hopkins (1818 – 1901)
- Lyricist: James Montgomery (1771 – 1854)
- Church Year: General, Lent, Ash Wednesday
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2020 Richard M S Irwin, All rights reserved.
- ISRC: UKTU21900069
- UPC: 5060707370634