Jesus lives! thy terrors now
can, O death, no more appal us;
Jesus lives! by this we know
thou, O grave, canst not enthral us.
Jesus lives! henceforth is death
but the gate of life immortal:
this shall calm our trembling breath,
when we pass its gloomy portal.
Jesus lives! for us he died;
then, alone to Jesus living,
pure in heart may we abide,
glory to our Saviour giving.
Jesus lives! our hearts know well
naught from us his love shall sever;
life nor death nor powers of hell
tear us from his keeping ever.
Jesus lives! to him the throne
over all the world is given:
may we go where he is gone,
rest and reign with him in heaven.
German Original “Jesus lebt, mit ihm auch ich”
RecordingThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.
Click Here to Download
- Tune: St Albinus
- Meter: 78 78 and Alleluia
- Style: Victorian Hymn
- Church Year: Easter, Funeral
- Composer: Henry John Gauntlett (1805 – 1876)
- Lyricist: Christian Fürchtegott Gellert’s (1715 – 1769)
- Translator: Francis Elizabeth Cox (1812 – 1897)
- Music and Lyrics Public Domain.
- Performance ℗ 2019 Richard M S Irwin, All rights reserved.