Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
in light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days,
almighty, victorious, thy great name we praise.
Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light,
nor wanting, nor wasting, thou rulest in might;
thy justice like mountains high soaring above
thy clouds which are fountains of goodness and love.
To all, life thou givest, to both great and small;
in all life thou livest, the true life of all;
we blossom and flourish as leaves on the tree,
and wither and perish, but naught changeth thee.
Thou reignest in glory; thou dwellest in light;
thine angels adore thee, all veiling their sight;
all laud we would render: O help us to see
’tis only the splendor of light hideth thee.
RecordingThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. You may also use streaming and on-line services, if they are listed in the section below, to obtain as download of the recording. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Click Here to Download
- Tune: Saint Denio
- Meter: 11 11 11 11
- Style: Traditional Welsh
- Church Year: Feast of Christ the King, Ascension, General, Trinity
- Composer: Unknown Traditional Welsh hymn melody in John Robert’s ‘Canuadu y Cyssegr’ (1833)
- Lyricist: Walter Chalmers Smith (1824 – 1908) based upon 1 Timothy 1:17
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2018 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.