I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love;
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.
And there’s another country, I’ve heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace.
Recording -- for OrchestraSpotify is available on either a free or low cost subscription basis, other services will charge a small fee for the download, but you can keep and reuse the recordings, which are available from Amazon, Google Music, iTunes and Spotify. Please Contact Us if you do not have access to these services.
Click Here to Download
- Album: Wedding Songs - Vol 1
- Tune: Thaxted
- Meter: 13 13 13 13 13 13
- Style: Early 20th Century
- Composer: Gustav Theodore Holst (1874 -- 1934) from Jupiter in his Planets’ Suite
- Lyricist: Cecil Spring-Rice (1859 -- 1918)
- Church Year: Remembrance Sunday, Weddings, Funerals
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2014 Richard M S Irwin. All rights reserved.