O for a closer walk with God – Lyrics
O for a closer walk with God,
A calm and heavenly frame,
A light to shine upon the road
That leads me to the Lamb!
What peaceful hours I once enjoyed!
How sweet their memory still!
But they have left an aching void
The world can never fill.
The dearest idol I have known,
Whate’er that idol be
Help me to tear it from Thy throne,
And worship only Thee.
So shall my walk be close with God,
Calm and serene my frame;
So purer light shall mark the road
That leads me to the Lamb.
RecordingThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. You may also use streaming and on-line services, if they are listed in the section below, to obtain as download of the recording. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free. Click Here to Download
- Tune: Stracathro
- Meter: CM
- Style: Traditional Gaelic, Traditional Celtic, Traditional Scottish
- Composer: Charles Hutchinson (1792 – 1860) Harp Obligato arranger: Richard Mark Stephen Irwin (b. 1955).
- Lyricist: William Cowper (1731 – 1800)
- Usage: Trinity
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain
- Performance Copyright © 2012 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.