1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
the emblem of suffering and shame;
and I love that old cross where the dearest and best
for a world of lost sinners was slain.
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
and exchange it some day for a crown.
2. O that old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
has a wondrous attraction for me;
for the dear Lamb of God left his glory above
to bear it to dark Calvary. Refrain
3. In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
a wondrous beauty I see,
for ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
to pardon and sanctify me. Refrain
4. To that old rugged cross I will ever be true,
its shame and reproach gladly bear;
then he’ll call me some day to my home far away,
where his glory forever I’ll share. Refrain
Available from MobileHymns.org
The music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance rights ℗ belong to Richard M S Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship (including online services) or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. If you use our hymns, please consider a donation to help keep this service free.Click Here to Download
Please Right-Click and Save Link if needed
- Tune: The Old Rugged Cross
- Meter: Irregular and Refrain
- Church Year: Passiontide, Lent, Good Friday, Funerals
- Composer: George Bennard (1873 – 1958)
- Lyricist: George Bennard (1873 – 1958)
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2018 Richard M S Irwin. Certain rights reserved.