Hymn – Ah, holy Jesu, how hast thou offended – Lyrics
Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended,
that man to judge thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.
Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone thee.
‘Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee:
I crucified thee.
Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
the slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
for our atonement, while we nothing heedeth,
For me, kind Jesus, was thy incarnation,
thy mortal sorrow, and thy life’s oblation;
thy death of anguish and thy bitter passion,
for my salvation.
Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee,
think on thy pity and thy love unswerving,
not my deserving.
Quality MP3 Recording for Free DownloadThe music used in this recording belongs in the Public Domain, but the Performance Copyright ℗ belongs to Richard Irwin. You may click the Download Button to obtain the MP3 recording for use in Worship or for personal use only. For other uses of the recording, please Contact Us. Click Here to Download
- Tune: Herzliebster Jesu
- Meter: 11 11 11 5
- Style: German Reformation
- Composer: Johann Crüger (1598 – 1662) arranger: Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750)
- Lyricist: Robert Seymour Bridges (1844 – 1930) from Lyricist: Johann Heermann (1585 – 1647) based upon 11th Century Latin meditation
- Church Year: Lent|Church Year: Passiontide
- Music and Lyrics Copyright Public Domain.
- Performance Copyright ℗ 2016 Richard M S Irwin, Certain rights reserved.